Warning...

All content contained within should be restricted to those over-age. Occasionally, suicide and self-harm are mentioned and readers should take care to ensure they are in a safe place - emotionally and physically - before reading. Comments are welcome.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Bling My Ride

I would like to start a movement.  A "Bling My Ride" movement.

Requiring movement aids, whether they be wheelchairs, or walkers or mobility scooters or whatever, can suck big time.  People expect you to walk around them (umm hello???), they make comments about your lack of driving skills when they nearly run into you because they are too busy yapping to watch where they are going, and especially if you are young, you tend to cop either looks of pity, or looks of "gosh, I hope she's not going to ask me to help her out - I'm BUSY".

When I'm in a wheelchair, it sucks because I'm only half my usual height, I have less control over where I'm going and what I can see, and my son keeps wanting to sit in my lap.  When I have my walker, I feel like I'm 90 years old, it hurts my hands because I need them to bear my weight, and my son wants to use it as a ride.

In order to make my day just a little more enjoyable, I blinged my walker a couple of years ago.  It worked.  The looks of pity from strangers turned to chuckles of surprise.  I felt better, happier, more alive - and why wouldn't I?  We feel better when we dress ourselves up to look our best - why not our mobility equipment?

So here is a picture of my walker.  When I get my wheelchair and bling it up, I'll post one of that too.  If you feel so inclined, please feel free to post a link to your own picture of your Blinged Up Ride.

I'm 34 and I have a disability.  I'm not fucking dead yet :)



No comments:

Post a Comment